Thursday, March 5, 2009

CATCH-UP TIME

Oh my! We left home 2 weeks ago today.... I probably have 14 postcards finished, but I haven't taken pictures of all of them yet. I am at the Cedar Key library using the wi-fi here, and will upload what I have. My AT&T wireless won't get even a slight signal where we are staying. I can sometimes use my cell phone if I go out in the middle of the road in front of the house. And I thought things were bad in Alaska. Nothing else to complain about here though. Though its been cold a few days (Florida standards) we've really enjoyed the weather.

On the way here, we spent a couple of days in Juneau, staying at the Extended Stay Motel. This was the view from our window over towards the glacier.

This was from Alaska Airlines flight 10 on Saturday, February 21... somewhere over Oklahoma or Texas.

Sunday, February 22, from the bench next to the lagoon looking towards my brother Ken's house near Lake Wales.

On Sunday, we drove to Lake Kissimmee State Park where we walked around.... visited a "cow camp", saw some wildlife and enjoyed the hugh live oaks..... I had time to do this little sketch with watercolor pencils. Yesterday, I painted over it in gouache and will put on the next post.

We came to Cedar Key on Monday, Feb. 23, and are loving it. This is the view in the west from our porch.... the bayou, painted with gouache in the morning.

and this with watercolor.
Afternoon and high tide, the colors are quite different.

I've started painting little botanicals in an accordian Moleskine.... so far using gouache. I'm hoping I can fill it up with Cedar Key plants while I'm here.
This is a sprig of cedar from which the town was named. There was a big industry here years ago using the cedar for pencils.

We are in an upstairs apartment on a canal. This is looking across the canal South. First painted in watercolor then a lot of gouache on top.
Another house across the canal done in watercolor


The same blue house in gouache.

No comments: