Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Juneau Trip

 I got to Juneau Wednesday night and on Thursday and Friday I shopped, went to the dentist, visited friends, got the taxes done and  finally visited the new Alaska State Museum. 

On Friday afternoon, I drove to Greuning State Park where I'd spent 2 weeks in August.   It looked quite different in the woods with the bushes bare.  There was little snow left, so it was easy walking; snow and ice covered the lake.

Later in the afternoon, I joined the Juneau Plein Rein Painters for a retreat at the Shrine of St. Therese Lodge which lasted into Sunday.  There were about a dozen artists there much of the time and much plein air painting was done.  I love getting together with this group.  They are dedicated to plein air painting and always an inspiration. 

With lots of layers and  foot warmers in my boots, I was able to sit outside and paint for the first time this year.


5.5x5 inches
I worked on this with watercolor on Friday afternoon as the sun was shining on the trees.  I should have left it alone, but added gouache the next day in different light.


4x5

This was Saturday morning as fog was coming and going.


8x8

And this late Saturday.  I got too cold to finish it.  I might just crop the bottom.


2.5x3 inches

 I painted this small one in my Sketchbook Project book from the lodge window on Sunday morning.

 I was pretty much exhausted when I got home yesterday... getting up at 4:30 to get on the 7 AM ferry always does me in.  I"m still trying to catch up.  I missed a couple of days painting everyday, but will get back to it tomorrow. 

No comments: